Friday, January 20, 2012

WHAT A BLAST!

We are having a great time as we learn a little bit about Chinese culture and Chinese New Year.  I find that with that dangling in front of them for the last subject of the day they are both eager to move on.

Today they colored in a dancing dragon and did a maze to bring the dragon to the bowl of tangerines. I read about some traditions again with the girls. Now we are ready to get our red envelopes prepared. They also glued on the face to their paper plate dragon. Of course, G had to make hers a bit different from the template. She must be creative with all she does but just once it would be nice to see her follow the norm.

Tomorrow we will create paper lanterns to decorate our class with. First comes lessons then the fun. Gee, if I was a good craft person I could always have them motivated like this.

I have decided to take G to Sylvan this summer and see if we gain a grade level as they promise in math.  She did well today in her math lesson.  I have slowed the phonics with F a bit. I want to make sure I am at her level and pushing her forward not having her try to catch me. Still she is doing well. I just have to keep reminding myself that she is five AND not eligible for kindergarten until fall in the public system.  Still she tells me she wants to go to the six year old class at church.  ummmm NO!

We have finished our Social Studies book so we are going into the health book next. I looked into the third grade History book for next year and found the table of contents. Seems we have done much of that in our independent reading so since G will go to fourth grade language courses next year I am going to go on in the fourth grade history and begin to split the girls in this class. Seems the third grade book covers Lincoln, Franklin, Clara Barton, Daniel Boone and others that we have specifically gotten books from the library to read more than our current books covered. As a matter of fact I have a book on Daniel Boone to take back to the library today. 

I feel so revitalized again today. I hope they keep this momentum going.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous, BethAnne! I am saving so many of my homeschool materials and wonderful reading books for my grandkids. What fun you must be having!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to receive them.