Thursday, July 21, 2011

History and Culture Lesson

So this will be my last entry until my trip is completed. (if you take the link at the end listing location you will find my heritage)
Next week we will head out to the homestead in Tennessee.  It is a beautiful place and has remained in our family for five generations. I spent much of my childhood there. It has never had electricity, running water or any comfort items that I grew up with in my home.  My mother was born there and even as late as 1950's she still did not have comforts that one would think of for the time. 
There are two plots of land, one is almost 100 acres in the middle of the Tennessee Ridge and the other is 10 acres owned at one time by my grandfather and now shared with my mother, aunts and uncles. A clear creek called Hurricaine Creek flows through the middle and it includes an area called Cinder Ford and has an old Iron Ore Furnace on the land called the Eclipse Furnace. So much history sitting in one hollow.  There is a spring that comes from a rock under a large tree, many years ago my grandfather put a pipe in it and that was the running water that my mother had. The water was about 1/4 mile from the house and when the bucket was full it was a steep walk back.
I know it all sound cliche' but it is real. She even attended a one room school house and was not permitted by culture to continue school during her sixth grade year as she came into her womanhood. NO JOKE! 
I hear tell that there are still several families in the Appalachians like  how she was raised. 

So I am going with G and F to the family cemetery.  We will meet with a cousin that I met two years ago via ancestry.com but this time she is bringing her mother.  Her mother left the hard luck, hard life area a long, long time ago and did not return. She has not ever been the her grandparents graveside and does not recall how to get there. I am going to take her.  She recently lost her husband of 66 yrs and now wants to return to home for one last visit.  It is a bitter sweet moment. 

In the meantime, we will all be enriched by this experience.  I will take G and F along, they have been there once before.  I also am going to stop at THE HOME PLACE along the Trace of the LBL area.  It will be a learning opportunity for them. I will take them again to the area where Danville, TN use to be prior to the TVA flood and to the cemetery moved for the flood. 

I will post pics if I get any good ones. I expect that the copperheads will be near the creek with this heat so rather than a lot of photo ops at the creek I will be on the look out and carry my "snake charmer".  When I was a child my grt-grandmother had a snake dog named Tony that always went ahead of us. He always seemed to get them. No one lives on this land anymore so the pathways will not be well traveled. 
I will put up the location on this post.  THIS is my heritage!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to receive them.