Monday, December 20, 2010

From other blog

I know that how accepting I deliver the information is important but..

sometimes I too feel frustrated and no matter how fluffy I make it my attitude does not always reflect how I really feel.  That concerns me as I want the girls to know that I accept them no matter how many times we go over 4+2=6 and 6-4=2.  I mean gosh golly, it appears it will be one of those blocked equations.  Not like it is the most important thing but I know that the tone that it is offered effects how the girls face their failures.
I might say…hey we are learning here and in learning we make mistakes….but the tone the K and myself sometimes have in our voice clearly does not reflect that.  So tomorrow when we sit down in the morning before class time begins I am going to pray with K for that soft mushy tone that I am just not good at.  Admittedly, the girls know I adore them but they are too consumed with the desire to please me or K and less concerned with feeling their own accomplishment.
I received the A Beka Combination Dot Cards and Number concept cards and began using them today.  Tomorrow I think G needs to touch and feel them.  It makes such a difference when she touches it and speaks it.
G and F both are doing well with phonics. I am concerned that F likes to do what she knows and does not challenge herself in the topic of reading/phonics like G does.  On the other hand, F seems to be more naturally numbers minded.  F is such a unbelievable memorizing abilities,  that she hears teaching G math and answers it for her.  Imagine the frustration of the 6 yr old when the 4 yr old blurts out the answer.  F’s brightness is great but she really needs to be more humble about it.
G has begun to break out of her shell a bit when it comes to actions songs and poems.  She is enjoying them when I am around but gets silly and does not do so well when others are watching.  Today she learned a cut little poem about the Chubby Snowman that was animated all the way through and enjoyed it with me so much.
Next week will be a busy learning week, the following week has a 4H Cloverbud program and a field trip to St. Louis University for the Nutcracker Ballet.  The girls and K will be doing that.  I will have a day off. (sounds like a good day to pick up some extra work at the hospital for Christmas cash).
Well, for those who come here to follow my experience, that will be all for now.  Nothing new to report.  I think the move to the home of the girls was a good one as they sit right down and get things done without other distractions.  Overall, I can see progressive learning taking place.  G will be going to her next level reading book soon but I did notice a small struggle today which is rare.  She is nearly done with all the phonics sounds and we are getting into more complicated sounds and words.  THIS is so cool.
by Beth posted under General Stuff | 1 Comment »

And At The Core Learning Happens

November27
So I have been thrilled with the outreach that home-schooling has permitted. I find the fun in it for me and hope that G and F do too.  I catch the exciting moments on film but if the truth be told those moments are not the most exciting.  True, they can be caught in a photo but how to you capture that moment that a four year old tells her elders that the Pilgrims were told by the king that they had to go to his church and no other.  Her understanding of the most basic level of Thanksgiving is simple but clearly more than what others learn.
Last year in the PS system G learned about Squanto and that there was a Thanksgiving Feast that natives had attended as well. She never knew why the Pilgrims came, sure that might be a lesson for later but WHY.  She was eager now to understand the basics.
As this holiday week approached I found it a great time to sort of wrap up a few lessons and finally get to those tests that have yet to be given. In part I was not sure that G would perform well on the test. So I was slow to administer an evaluation test.  As it turns out I really under estimated G’s retention of knowledge. She did so well on what I would have thought was the hardest part of the testing.  Same with F, I completed some oral evaluations and she too has really retained more than I thought they had.
As a student I must say that they are wonderful sponges that soak up what is offered them. In the middle of all the fun we have there is indeed learning that is taking place.
So we did not cut class time short on Wednesday just made it a testing time. Of course there was no school on Thanksgiving but the following day we concluded some study about Native Americans by participating in an artist fair at the largest early civilization site in North America. We do not live very far from Cahokia Mounds and they had Native American artists present to display and sell their handiwork.
It was great, G was very open with them that she was there as part of her home-schooling and wanted to learn about their pottery, weaving and such. Most were very very open with her and taught her proudly about their particular craft. One woman took the time with them both to make a doll out of pine needles explaining that their tribe would make things out of the items found in nature. She had baskets made of pine needles that she explained could be used for carrying water and for cooking in.  G and F were amazed by her and at the end of the day she thanked me for sharing my grandchildren with her.  WOW she was a blessing sent to us in order to complete a lesson full circle.  No longer do the girls think that Native Americans are mean or look odd or dress wild or attack us.  We did it!  We have reached a greater understanding of a culture. All hidden by fun, indeed at the core learning happens.

Come as you are!

November22
The best part of home-school is being able to come as you are. Here F comes dressed as a puppy after a little "recess break" to finish the rest of the day.
I cannot begin to tell you how this picture lifted my heart for the day.  I had to tend to my mother’s health needs this morning early and was unable to be one of the teachers today.
It is an insight to the loving acceptance that my daughter has and open mindedness that a home-school parent is able to demonstrate.
« Older Entries

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to receive them.