Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Preparing the girls to take me seriously

Today they asked if we could begin school yet?  This is two days in a row.  I know I am not ready but thought that perhaps their eagerness should be my guide.  After all, they will have to take this grandmother more serious and pay attention when I begin to teach them on purpose.

I do so much every day with them that is a guide and teaching experience but that is life and love learning, not purposeful learning.

SO I told them that although it is not yet school time we will practice our listening skills, our cooperation and sharing of things and my attention and we will begin learning to relax during our practice school time.

We gathered at the table with some water colors. F needed one on one attention to begin this task and G was praised on her patience while I worked with F.

[caption id="attachment_83" align="alignnone" width="150" caption="Just one of the painting in a calm listening environment"][/caption]

  We all purposefully relaxed during this time and found that within only a few minutes the entire room was calm and attention was so good that I felt joyful deep inside.

Right now it is so peaceful as they use the water colors that I think I could nap.  And just as I expected. G is now teaching F about primary colors and what colors mixed together will make more colors. 

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful. I'm always saddened when I hear a mother (or grandmother) say, "Oh, I couldn't homeschool--my child just won't listen to me." Whether a person homeschools or not, that's a tragic statement about the relationship. It is beautiful that your precious granddaughters are "learning to learn" from you and to be attentive, relaxed, and focus with respectfulness and joy at this tender age. They are learning to respect and enjoy you as a teacher, and learning to love learning!

    You are doing a lovely thing!

    And I love G teaching F about primary colors and color mixing! Isn't it fun to see learning become contagious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you! :D You are working on your own education, teaching your grandchildren, and helping them learn to love learning!!

    You are a blessing to those little girls and their parents!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to receive them.