Sunday, August 18, 2013

Observing them as they observe and explore the world

As Owen is beginning to be with us more and more each day I have noticed a tremendous explosion of knowledge gathering.  He has made such progress now that his brain is not foggy with anticonvulsants. I can't imagine what it would be like for the world to so abruptly open itself to you in such a short period of time.

We have not officially kicked off our new school year but when you homeschool, learning happens all the time. Actually, every parent or grandparent experience the same thing regardless of how or where you school but homeschoolers tend to recognize it more readily as a learning opportunity. 

What has Owen reveal to us this week?  Several of his words and phrases are making sense. Some days they are so clear it is amazing.  Most little one's refer to ME and not "I" but he uses I very often in referring to himself and very appropriately.  Today I asked him if he would like some bacon and he clearly stated it back to me. When I asked him if he was ready he clearly said "yes" and nodded his head. He is often found saying thank you, and kitty-kitty-kitty, not to mention so many other attempts. In our car we have a game we call YELLOW CAR and he seems to have joined in. He does not actually see a yellow car but he points out the window and calls out for the count.  He does well with the word.  His energy is amazing. He will have one more week of therapy as he has surpassed his development milestones in many areas and at level with others. Considering how far he had to come it is fabulous that he had managed this.  His understanding of the world as it unfolds to him is unbelievable. 

Today he and Faith enjoyed an old fashion mud puddle.  It began as an area of dirt but with small amounts of water from their watering cans it was a great mud stew and a stick became a favorite tool.  Just a moment ago he drug a small chair to the piano. There is a chair at the piano but he wanted his and he sat, reached high and played a tune.  I could go on and on with the little things I am observing.

He is not the only one who is observing the world around them. Faith has had a huge challenge to alter her self centered ideas. She is loving but is the most selfish of the three children.  Her tendency to be jealous or sassy has been bad lately so we are working on that one. Today I utilized the teachings of God through the story of Moses to work on following God's rules. She is a great big sister but tires easily with any responsibilities. To work on this I got her a classroom bunny and 100% of the work is hers. It does not matter that Grace also ended up with a bunny. I mean, Faith ended up with a donkey when Grace got one. So Grace will carry the burden for donkey food/barn/water and Faith for the bunnies.  I noticed Faith observing what her bunny responded favorably to. I love it when I see a moment in their life.

The classroom must be done soon, no more delays. I will be sure to post pictures very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to receive them.