Thursday, February 2, 2012

WHY WE HOMESCHOOL

I do not make this post to offend anyone. I want to make it clear as it seems to get muddled up easily.  I teach my grandchildren because I feel I am called to do that right now.  I have been called upon to do many things in my life. Remember, I am a Registered Nurse in an ICU with 30 yrs experience. In those same 30 years I have been a cub/boy/girl scout leader, a homecoming picnic volunteer (yr after yr), an active citizen promoting and using a local civic center and programs for youth, a soccer mom, a dance mom, a kourey league mom, and a conservation worker within our many many campsites.  YES!  I am a Christian and so it is natural that my believes will influence my teaching.  It means that I try to find a  bit more patience when I think I might be at the end. Well, so does any good mother/grandmother, regardless of their religious convictions. 

I teach Grace and Faith because they are wonderful little sponges that have a huge potential in front of them. I teach because they would, could and will get lost in the public system and that has the potential to diminish their future potentials.  I teach because I can foster the natural love for learning that they have and help to keep it on fire. I am not happy just being the kindling but want to be the gasoline on a huge boy scout fire. (old family joke)  Our lesson times are spent making sure that the girls can meet the academic standards that they are capable of meeting. In our everyday life we teach our philosophy that we hope they take to heart and follow as well. In their church the teachings at home are reinforced. I have always openly prayed with them. BUT I am not going to take my lesson time to memorize a Bible verse.  If  there is time to memorize something I want it to be a math fact, a spelling rule, or rules of writing the English language. 

I feel it is more important to understand the message of a verse than to spit out the words my memory. Additionally, the Bible is a huge book and to take one line and think that one line holds all the meaning necessary is just way outside of my box. 

Kelley carefully monitors what type and the amount of television the girls see. She makes sure they learn to be respectful but also is good and teaching them to speak their thoughts as long as it is done with respect and understanding of each others view.  They are essentially sheltered from the many influences that they are simply not ready to receive. But I know my daughter and when she feels they are becoming more mature she will certainly open the world to them more. 

OH ONE MORE THING......  there are many people in our lives that have "alternative" life styles.  We love them dearly and would never think of removing them from our presence. I also want to go on the record and say that there are same sex couples out there who are wonderful parents and would put most to shame.  Be high and mighty about this but I am sure that it is not what Jesus would do.

Well, enough said for now.

BTW we have had a great week of lessons.  Big things happening at Geralds Learning Academy!

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to receive them.